Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Graduation!

PIC_4151b Hooray! It has been a week of celebration in our household. Our son graduated from high school last night. I just loved the whole evening, but especially the crowd outside the SunDome after graduation.
     PIC_4179
It was about 8:30 and just beginning to get dark and to cool off after a hot Florida summer day. I loved seeing all the seniors in their blue or white robes scattering through the crowd to find their friends and family. I loved being in the happy crowd, everyone dressed up to honor,support, love, and cheer on the graduates. I loved finding all the people we have come to know and care about as our son has grown from an elementary aged boy to a young man, and meeting their families from far places who came for the occasion. I loved the feeling of unity, accomplishment, and rejoicing in the achievements of others. I think it felt just a little bit like heaven will feel. (Don't you think we will all be so excited to be there, busy looking for those we love, enjoying happy reunions, making new acquaintances, and rejoicing in the accomplishments of others? I do.) I am grateful for the little piece of heaven we got to enjoy last night.
Now, despite Rick's comments that high school graduation should just be expected (well, yes) and what is the big deal, I think we have a lot to celebrate!
This year has been an especially noteworthy one for you, son...
Drum Major and Band Captain of the award winning Wharton Regiment!
PIC_1903 PIC_1904 PIC_1905
National Honor Society!
Eagle Scout!
PIC_2685
"Semper Fidelis" Award for Musical Excellence by the US Marine Corps! ("Every year the Marine Corps takes pride in recognizing outstanding performances in academics, athletics, and music. All three fields exemplify the qualities that are inherent to the Marine Corps -- smart, tough, and elite.")
Graduating with Honors, (34th in a class of 578) with a GPA of 4.12!
$36,000 Academic scholarship to…
svu logoleft
GO KNIGHTS!
Roo, we love you and are so proud of you and the young man you have become!

3 comments:

Jill said...

That made me all teary. We love you all so much and wish we could have been there to share in the celebration. Dear nephew, how we love you! We are so proud of you and all that you have accomplished. What a fine young man you are. No wonder your parents are so proud.

Darcy said...

I am so happy to find your blog. How exciting! What amazing things he has done with his life so far. I still remember him as the cute little boy that used to run around grandmas all the time and tell us his made up jokes.

Anne said...

Oh, Darcy! How fun to see you here! I hope my posting is not so sporadic that you never visit again. Isn't this a great way to draw our far flung family closer together?

I believe in Jesus Christ.